Friday, January 09, 2009

Preaching from Ezekiel

I get to preach this Sunday night. I have been intrigued with the book of Ezekiel for some time and have bought 2 more commentaries recently. I got volume 1 of Daniel Block's commentary and the NIV commentary by Iain M. Duguid. I started studying Ezekiel about a year ago, but didn't get far. My plan is to do a better job this time around. I have read alot of the background material, but am focusing on chapter 18 at the moment, then next week I will go back to the beginning.

I will attempt to add my own commentary on this blog, but please forgive me if I fail to be consistant. As far as chapter 18 goes, I will briefly give you my outline.

  1. Israel's Complaint - The chapter starts with a proverb that had been quoted by the people for a long time. It is not a Biblical proverb. It says "The old men eat sour grapes and sets their children's teeth on edge." The meaning is that one generation sins and their children are judged based on those sins.
  2. God's Correction - God says Israel cannot use that excuse anymore. Each man's soul is God's and God will judge each man according to his own sin or his own righteousness. Ezekiel lays this out in 3 case studies, with variations.
  3. God's Remedy - Repent and turn away from your sins. Man can do this by reading and following God's laws, living a life of integrity and righteousness (echoes of Psalm 15, don't ya think?).
  4. God's Compassion - God does not want any soul to die. He takes ownership of ALL souls and finds no pleasure in any death of a soul. Repent and live!

I am nervous about this sermon. I haven't preached too often, so that is part of it, but also tackling Ezekiel, even though this is an easier section of Ezekiel. Any prayers would be appreciated!

No comments: