Friday, January 12, 2007

The Gospel Truth

A couple of days ago I ranted about blogs that promote the Emerging church theology. I just now hesitated using the term theology, but that is what it is. People are skewing the Truth into their own idea of theology.

On a similar note, most of these blogs share a whole lot of their opinion and little of the Bible. If they are concerned about the direction their church is going (and lumping all the churches in with theirs) then they need to search the Word and pray. Yes, pray. Communication with God. Nothing mystical, but can "availeth much."

Even though I said I would not read anymore blogs, the concepts they promote are still nagging my brain (it doesn't take much). I think too many books are being written and read when the only book needed is the Bible. Books by N.T. Wright or Scot McKnight or Dallas Willard or Henry Blackaby can be thought provoking, but remember...they are not divine inspiration. The stack of books next to your bed (and mine) are not Gospel. The notes in your study Bible (and mine) are not Gospel. The Commentaries on your shelf (and mine) are not Gospel. What is divinely inspired? The 66 books between the Table of Contents and the maps.

All this to say that I think (my turn for an opinion) that bloggers that are part of the Emerging movement and its off-shoots need to turn to God and the Bible. Quit complaining in your blogs and start studying. Maybe God wants YOU to do something.

1 comment:

Rolland said...

I hear you, man. I just do not spend any time really reading blogs (of course, I hit yours every once and a while) and never really have. I know this means that i am not "cool" (or, in emergent terms, "relevant") but I agree if we are spend time reading THE truth, we will not be swayed by "philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ" (Col. 2:8).

In fact, throughout the emergent movement literature, there is a "downplaying/downgrading" scripture. They almost mock those who have a high view of Scripture and even say that we worship the Scripture and thus making Scripture more than it really is. I do not "worship" the bible but it is God's Word and what God says is valuable beyond anything on this earth. Read Psalm 119 and hear what the psalmist feels about God's word. Paul encourages Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:1 to "preach THE WORD
" (my emphasis, although I do not doubt Paul places his emphasis there as well). Open up the Word to any prophet and see what they are holding on to and proclaiming without any hesitation - God's Word.

If God reveals Himself through His word and through it, we can know more about him, why would we not spend more and more time delving into its treasures?

In short...I agree with your post. :)