Thursday, January 10, 2008

Choices

I am teaching on choices Sunday morning. In Genesis 12-13, Abram and Lot have some big choices to make. Abram's main choice is to obey and trust God when God tells him to leave his country and relatives to go to a place he had never been before (the Promised Land, Canaan). Why should Abram trust God? God gave him several reasons:
  1. "I will make you a great nation."
  2. "I will bless you"
  3. "I will make your name great"
  4. "You will be a blessing to others"
  5. "I will bless those who bless you"
  6. "I will curse those who curse you" (In essence, "I will protect you")
  7. "In you, all the families of the earth will be blessed"
In chapter 13 Abram gives Lot the choice of land. Lot chooses unwisely. Abram takes the Promised Land, Canaan. Lot sees the lush Jordan Valley and wants it for himself. He does not seek God's council. He is selfish and makes a rash decision. He does not care that Sodom is the main city of the valley.

Have you ever found yourself in Lot's shoes? I know I have. I have chosen unwisely with bad results. I have chosen hastily without talking to my family or God...with bad results. Wise decisions have been few and far between. I have learned my lessons, but I need to be more attentive to God's promises and blessings. When I have chosen wisely, I have been blessed.

How will you choose today?

No comments: