Monday, November 26, 2007

What are you called to do?

In Sunday School yesterday, I finished teaching through Matthew. The material we use lends itself to a "survey" of a book rather than an in depth Bible study. We spent 3 months in Matthew and we could have spent a year. We could have spent 3 months on the Beatitudes alone, but I will stop complaining.

Yesterday's lesson had a "on mission" theme to it with the final point of the lesson being Matthew 28:18-20 which is the Great Commission. As I was teaching and stressing a point that we need to be ready at any moment to share the Gospel, God triggered a memory. I remember my grandpa, Rev. R. W. Wooten, telling a story about disobedience. He was walking down the street and a man was walking towards him. As the man drew nearer, God impressed upon my grandpa to share the gospel with him right then. Grandpa was in a hurry and quenched the Spirit and continued on, passing the man without saying a word. As he turned the corner to walk down another street, he had only gone a few steps when he heard squealing brakes. Grandpa turned around to see what had happened. The man he was supposed to talk to, had been hit by a truck and killed while crossing the street.

My grandpa has the gift of evangelism. He never had a problem speaking to someone about salvation. That zeal intensified after that moment. He never forgot his disobedience to God. He never knew whether that man was a Christian or not, but he always felt the man wasn't because of what God wanted him to share. I used to go with my grandpa when he would visit people and I heard him share, almost every time about God's love for that person. This is a lesson we all need to hear. I don't want to bear the guilt of disobedience because I didn't share the Gospel. Obedience is what we are called to do. That obedience is in different shapes and forms. God doesn't want our sacrifices, our things, our talents, our gifts...He wants our obedience.

"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

No comments: